Saturday, November 13, 2010

Dewey Decimal classifications, Library of Congress, or Book Store method?


I currently work at a 1st through 5th grade elementary school, bearing that in mind, I think the best method of organizing my library would be both the Dewey Decimal classification and Book Store method. Just recently I began weeding books from this under utilized library, while doing this, I came across many new books that were suffocating amongst the old ones. I put many of the new books on display using the bookstore method throughout the library. Teachers and administrators were very surprised to see these books were even in the library! Considering there are so many books in this library, many unused, with teachers too strapped for time to go through the library and see what is available, it becomes necessary for teachers to at least have a quick glance of books they could possibly use in there classroom.

In keeping with the idea of catching the attention of patrons through the bookstore display method, I have used an empty glass display case, decorated it with Fall colors, cut out paper leaves and displayed books related to the season, and Thanksgiving, I have observed many students stop to take a glance at the books in the display case, teachers as well, who then come in and ask if I have a certain book available.

The Dewey Decimal classification is a system many, if not all, of the 5th grade students will encounter when entering middle school as well as while in high school. The Dewey Decimal System will allow them to understand or get a better sense of how a library is set up and will save them time in figuring it out later on when they need to search for materials at higher grade levels. The bookstore display will be used to entice patrons, while the Dewey Decimal System will teach and instill within the students the knowledge they will need in searching for materials currently, as well as into the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment